Enjoy a rich, creamy alfredo dish—without the dairy! This incredibly indulgent-tasting vegan dish is made with cashews, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, and aromatics. Use a food processor or a high-speed blender to create a smooth and delicious pasta sauce.
- SERVINGS: 4–5 servings
- PREP TIME: 35 minutes
- COOK TIME: 5 minutes
- PASSIVE TIME: N/A
- 1 cup Raw Cashews (150 g)
- 13.66 oz can Coconut Milk (400 mL)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt (5 g)
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper (2 g)
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast (15 g)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (15 mL)
- ¼ cup Shallots, finely diced (25 g)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced (14 g)
- ¾ cup reserved Pasta Water (177 mL)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice, optional (5 mL)
- 1 lb Fettuccine, prepared according to package directions (452 g)
- 1 cup Peas, fresh or frozen and thawed
- Red Chili Flakes, for finishing (optional)
- Place the cashews in a high-sided bowl. Bring 2 cups of water to boil, then pour enough water over the cashews to cover. Soak for 20–30 minutes, then drain and rinse the cashews.
- Place soaked cashews, coconut milk, salt and pepper into a food processor. Process on high until mixture is smooth and creamy (about a minute). Add the nutritional yeast, then process on low for another 15 seconds.
- Heat a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to the hot pan, along with shallots and garlic. Sauté the shallots and garlic until translucent and fragrant (about 2 minutes), stirring constantly to prevent burning. Reduce heat to medium and add the cashew mixture to the pan. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, whisking constantly. As the mixture thickens, add a bit of pasta water (a little at a time) and lemon juice (if using), until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Add the cooked fettuccine noodles and peas to the pan. Toss together until all noodles are evenly coated in sauce. Sprinkle with red chili flakes, if desired. Serve immediately.