Tabbouleh is a bulgur wheat based salad that’s flavored with parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, lemon and olive oil. There are different variations of this dish throughout the Mediterranean and Middle East regions, but they all typically contain a generous amount of herbs as well as the bulgur wheat.
This tabbouleh recipe is a bulgur wheat salad made with fresh herbs, tomatoes and cucumber, all tossed together in a simple lemon dressing. A delicious and healthy side dish that pairs perfectly with a variety of Mediterranean dishes.
Prep time: 20 min
Total time: 60 min
Photo Credit: @CallmePetit
Recipe: @Redbeyondfood & Dinneratthezoo.com
- 3/4 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups Roma tomatoes and finely diced
- 1/2 cup onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup curly parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint finely chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place the bulgur wheat in a large bowl with water. Cover and let it sit for 40 minutes or until the wheat has softened. Drain off any excess liquid
- Add the tomatoes, onions, parsley and mint to the bowl with the bulgur wheat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Cover the salad and chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days. Serve.